Thursday, December 15, 2011

Rejection

Snow covered everything. It was a winter wonderland. Lop sided snowmen line the streets along with snow forts, and forgotten sleds. Christmas lights light up the entire neighborhood, nativity scenes appear in windows, along with Santa and the rest of the reindeer. Carolers make their way house to house around 5 everyday. It’s the perfect suburban neighborhood. White picket fences around every house, smiling faces on every person, and everyone is friends. I sit in my living room. Once again the ideal family living area, board games and books fill the cupboards, hot chocolate sits upon the coffee table, and the dog lies sleeping while Christmas music drifts through the air. I sit on the windowsill with a blanket draped across my shoulders and a hot mug in my hands. Tears dripped down my cheeks. Some made splashing sounds as they dropped into my cocoa, while others make their way towards my mouth and supplied me with a wet, salty taste. I ran my fingers through my hair; tufts of it fell onto the floor. I clench my eyes shut, hoping this is all a dream. But, the blood that came pouring out of my nose just then, and the lack of strength I had to get up and stop it only confirmed my fears. My cancer has taken over. It was only a matter of time until people figured out. I can hear the whispers already. I’ll be the talk of the school. I heard the front door open, and laid motionless waiting for my mom to notice me, and make a scene about the blood that has now reached the floor. I hear grocery bags hit the floor and my mother's footsteps run towards me. She doesn’t say anything. She only wets an old rag and cleans me off. School starts in 30 min. and I was determined to go today; no matter what my mom said. I needed to tell people what’s happening before rumors start about all the days of school I’ve missed in the past few months. After I was all clean I stood up, got dressed, grabbed my backpack, and stood by the front door. My mother knew what I wanted. She sighed, grabbed the keys and reached for the door knob. She froze with her hand still on the handle. “Are you sure?” She asked with her eyes focused on the floor. “I feel fine mom, come on, let’s go,” She sighed a second time and twisted the door handle. Here I was, off to school for the first time in a month and a half. I slowly walked out to the car; I would have gone faster if I had the energy. My mom carried my backpack for me, so the only thing I held in my hand was my speech, it was exactly what I was going to say as I told my class what exactly the reason was for my absence over the past weeks. I read it over and over until we reached the school. I got out of the car, grabbed my backpack, kissed my mom on the cheek and whispered “I love you” before I made my way towards the entrance of the school. I acted as if it was any other school day, and silently made my way to my first class. I walked in and whispers spread through the entire room. I put my head down and slowly walked towards the teacher. She smiled sympathetically. “Do you mind if I say something real quick?” I asked as I took a quick glance around the room. “Sure Janie!” She replied. I whispered Thank-you and made my way to the front of the room. “Hey guys” I said with a smile. Everyone stopped talking, and smiled back. “I guess you guys all want to know why I’ve been gone so long" Murmurs started in the back of the room "so here it goes."I said trying not to let my voice crack. The faces of my classmates froze. "I was diagnosed with a rare type of cancer called adenocarcinoma it lines my internal organs. I started chemo a few weeks ago." I said as quickly ran my fingers through my hair. A small blonde lock of hair fell out as I did so. I held it up for the class to see.  "My hair is falling out, and I’m very tired.” Tears started rolling down people’s faces. “It sucks, I know. I also know you guys all want to help, but I just want to be treated like I was before. I want to be treated like Janie Eldridge. Not that Janie girl with cancer.” Sobs started in the back of the room as tears run down my face, but then I smiled “I’ve accepted what’s happening to me. I only hope that you will too.”

No comments:

Post a Comment